A higher level of protection
The regulations regarding microbial issues for bottled water are different throughout the world. Pall Corporation has developed filtration technology that meets the requirements for each geography. This section contains information for water bottlers that follow the US regulations.
Pall offers a wide range of final filters to ensure microbial stabilization prior to bottling. Pall provides 0.45 micron and 0.2 micron filters for removal of bacteria, molds, or other fine contaminants in water for those bottlers that desire a higher level of protection.
A final submicron filtration step for microbial stabilization provides an additional level of contaminant-removal security. Final filtration is performed before packaging to microbially stabilize the water by removing bacteria and molds and by providing a final polishing filtration.
Pall Ultipor® filters with N66 membrane are used routinely to provide biologically stable beverage products. Pall Ultipor filter cartridges with N66 membrane are specifically engineered for microbial stabilization (0.45 micron rating) or sterilization (0.2 micron rating). They incorporate versatile Nylon 66 membranes that are high area pleated into single open-ended cartridges for use in sanitary filter housings and have been designed to provide reliable economical and efficient microbial stabilization or sterilization. Integrity testable Ultipor filter cartridges with N66 membrane are available with 0.2 and 0.45 micron microbial ratings. Fully manufactured 0.2 micron filter assemblies are validated by liquid challenge with Brevundimonas diminuta at 107/cm2 filter area and are 100% integrity tested.
Pall also offers integrity testable Pall Fuente II filters with a new polyethersulfone (PES) membrane and Fluorodyne® II filters with a polyvinylidiene fluoride (PVDF) membrane for microbial stabilization or sterilization. The variety of membrane types ensures that we can provide a product that will work with the required cleaning regimen.
Additionally, for a more economical filtration process, prefilters are often used to remove particulate materials and protect the final filters to ensure a long service life. Pall offers several prefilter options so that the requirements for a specific bottled water operation can be met.
Benefits of Pall Final Filters
- Total filtration systems are provided to meet process economics and product quality requirements
- Integrity testable filters to assure performance · Inherently tough membranes designed to withstand extreme operating conditions
- High voids volume for low clean differential pressure and long on-stream life
- Fixed pore structure ensures that there is no unloading of trapped contaminants
- Complete line of membrane filters (Nylon, PES or PVDF) to meet specific product and process requirements
- Products available for microbial stabilization or sterilization to meet application requirements
- Intrinsically water-wettable
- Resin and surfactant-free
- Flushed with high-purity water before shipment to provide consistent product cleanliness
- Broad solvent compatibility High area for long life
- Hot water sanitizable
- Repeatedly steamable in situ
- Individually serialized for traceability
- Manufactured by Pall in a controlled environment
- Integrity tested before release